Blister Packaging Equipment: Enhancing Product Safety and Presentation
Blister packaging has gained popularity as it offers both secure product storage and an appealing visual presentation. Studies have even shown that using blister packaging can boost sales by up to 30%. This type of packaging is commonly used for small consumer goods, including electronics, toys and pharmaceuticals. It provides advantages such as increased product visibility, protection against tampering and safeguarding the products from external factors.
Industry statistics reveal that blister packaging holds a market share of, over 18% in the global packaging industry. Its versatility, cost effectiveness and ability to cater to industries contribute to its widespread use. For instance, in the pharmaceutical sector blister packaging is extensively employed for unit dose medications, which not reduces medication errors but also enhances patient safety.
Blister packaging is widely used for a variety of reasons:
- Product Visibility: Blister packs offer the advantage of allowing consumers to visually inspect the product prior to making a purchase thereby increasing their trust and confidence in the product.
- Tamper-Evident: They offer packaging that shows signs of tampering indicating whether the product has been opened or tampered with.
- Protection: Blister packaging is highly effective in safeguarding the products integrity by providing protection, against moisture, light and external contaminants.
- Dose Accuracy: It is particularly favored within the pharmaceutical sector because it enables dosage administration and convenient recognition of medications.
Types of Blister Packaging Equipment
The blister packaging equipment sector has experienced growth in recent times driven by the rising demand for packaging solutions that are safe tamper proof and visually appealing. According to a report from research nester, it is projected that the global blister packaging equipment market will achieve a revenue of USD 40 Billion by the end of 2033 with an annual growth rate (CAGR) of 3% during the forecast period spanning from 2023, to 2033. Additionally, the market recorded a revenue of USD 25 Billion in 2022. There are a variety of blister packaging machines that can be found in the market each having its set of pros and cons. Some of the popular ones are;
- Thermoforming machines are perfect for creating large volume of blister packs rapidly and effectively with an average of 40 cycles per minute. These machines operate by heating a plastic sheet to make it flexible then shaping it into the desired form using a mold. Thermoforming machines are most suitable for manufacturing quantities of identical products; however, they can be costly to run and maintain.
- Cold forming machines are ideal for smaller batch sizes and intricate shapes. The process involves pressing aluminum or laminate foil into a mold to create a cavity, which is then filled with the product at a rate of 35 cycles, per minute. While cold forming machines are renowned for their precision and accuracy they tend to be slower and costlier compared to blister packaging equipment options.
- Heat sealing machines, which are the fundamental type of blister packaging equipment operate by using heat and pressure to seal a pre formed blister to a backing card. These machines are user friendly, require minimal upkeep. However, it’s important to note that they may not be suitable for all product types and might not offer the level of protection as other forms of blister packaging.
- Rotary blister packaging machines are specifically designed for high volume production and have the capability to produce up to 400 blisters per minute. Their continuous motion process enables cycle times and improved efficiency. It’s worth mentioning that these machines tend to be more expensive compared to flatbed ones and more maintenance due to their intricate design.
- Flatbed blister packaging machines are well suited for production runs as they can produce up to 60 blisters, per minute. They utilize a reciprocating motion process making them easier to maintain compared to their rotary counterparts. However, it’s important to note that these machines have cycle times and lower overall efficiency when compared with rotary ones.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Blister Packaging Equipment
When selecting blister packaging equipment, there are a key factors that need to be taken into account. The first and foremost factor is the nature of the product that needs to be packaged. Different products have requirements when it comes to blister packaging equipment. For instance, solid items might necessitate a type of equipment compared to liquid or gel based products.
Another important consideration is the speed at which the equipment operates. This can vary depending on factors such, as size and complexity. It’s crucial to choose equipment that can handle business’s production volume efficiently. Additionally, taking into account the cost and maintenance requirements of the equipment is equally important.
Applications of Blister Packaging Equipment
Blister packaging machinery is extensively utilized in the pharmaceutical sector for the packaging of tablets, capsules and other medications. This equipment guarantees the safety and protection of medicines during their transportation and storage. According to data 87% of solid drugs in European economies are packed in blisters whereas this figure is 19% lower in the United States. Moreover, blister packaging plays a role in prolonging the shelf life of products particularly for medications, with longer expiration dates.
Blister packaging equipment is widely used for purposes, including food and consumer goods. For instance, snacks like granola bars and candies often come in blister packaging to ensure protection, from moisture and air. Additionally, this type of packaging offers an attention grabbing display when placed on store shelves.
Benefits of Blister Packaging Equipment
Blister packaging equipment provides advantages for businesses, including enhanced product safety extended shelf life and cost effectiveness. By utilizing blister packaging, products are shielded from factors like moisture, light and air that could potentially lead to spoilage or contamination. This ensures that products stay fresh and safe for consumption over periods.
Apart from ensuring product safety blister packaging also presents cost solutions for businesses. Incorporating blister packaging can reduce wastage and boost production efficiency ultimately leading to reduced costs, for companies. Additionally, the customizable nature of blister packaging allows businesses to create package designs that grab attention on store shelves and attract consumers.
Maintenance and Troubleshooting
To ensure that blister packaging equipment operates smoothly and to prevent periods of inactivity it is vital to carry out regular maintenance. Establishing a maintenance schedule and adhering to it which includes conducting inspections and cleaning when necessary is of utmost importance.
Aside from keeping up with maintenance, it is equally important to have a well-defined plan in case any issues arise. This might involve having spare parts readily available providing training to staff on troubleshooting techniques and establishing a clear procedure, for reporting and resolving equipment problems.
Blister packaging machinery plays a role in guaranteeing the security, appearance and effectiveness of packaging procedures across different industries. Its capability to safeguard products build consumer confidence. Enable automation makes it an invaluable tool, for manufacturers striving to provide top notch products to the market. As technology progresses blister packaging equipment is expected to adapt and cater to the evolving requirements of the packaging sector thereby enhancing product safety and presentation more.
Photo by Marek Studzinski on Unsplash
CLICK HERE FOR LATEST NEWS.
READ CURRENT AND PAST ISSUES OF IAA.
KEEP YOURSELF UPDATED, SUBSCRIBE TO IAA NOW!